Menu

Texas Pecos Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Del Rio: Del Rio Cemeteries Historic District


Italian cypress trees towering over an otherwise sparse landscape connect the four cemeteries of the Del Rio Cemeteries Historic District. Established in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the cemeteries illustrate the fusion of diverse cultures and the social and ethnic divisions in Del Rio. 

The largest is Westlawn, which was originally known as the Public Cemetery. Several notable figures in Del Rio and Val Verde County history are buried here, including the city’s first mayor. An African American section is in the western part of the cemetery, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows fraternal organization has a section near the center.

The Masonic fraternal lodge purchased 10 acres adjacent to Westlawn in 1905; burials in the Masonic Cemetery are primarily grouped in family plots delineated with cement curbing. The southernmost entrance gate leads to the Sacred Heart Catholic Cemetery, where colorful ceramic tiles depicting religious imagery grace many of the Hispanic gravestones. Look for star and leaning cross icons, which label birth and death dates.

Although it has no formal entrance or internal pathways, Saint Joseph’s Cemetery can be accessed from Sacred Heart Cemetery. It features modest, handmade grave markers, many of which are undated. The Del Rio Cemeteries District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 


Location

  • Roughly bounded by West 2nd St., Johnson Blvd., and St. Peter’s St.
  • Del Rio, Texas
  • 78840

Contact


Map